The shroud surrounding Foxconn is slowing being pulled back. Once a very secretive OEM manufacturer, the company has started to let reporters and their cameras inside their facilities in an effort to clear its name. The video here comes by way of Marketplace’s Rob Schmitz, the publication’s Shanghai Bureau Chief Rob Schmitz partly responsible for the unraveling of Mike Daisey’s Foxconn exaggeration several weeks ago. His look lacks some of the sensationalism of ABC’s Bill Weir report, but Schmitz’s videos shows a first-rate manufacturing facility with the most dangerous aspect being the tedious work that comes naturally with mass manufacturing.
Foxconn is currently operating under the world’s eye. After Daisey’s account was found to be more theatrics than facts, activists and rivals mostly took to the sidelines, just waiting for another incident at Foxconn to rekindle the world’s anger. And it will come. Something else will happen at Foxconn that will cause people to raise their arms and yell at Apple while mostly ignoring HP, Dell, Amazon, and all the rest of Foxconn’s clients.
But Foxconn will soldier on, pumping out shiny iPads and critical Cisco routers as if nothing happened.
TechCrunch’s John Biggs spent a few days in Foxconn’s Shenzhen compound last year. As did Rob Schmitz, Biggs found a modern facility void of any of Daisey’s reported atrocities. Read Biggs’ fantastic series here.
- Installing Virtue OLED Board & Laser Eyes in Dye DM9 Paintball Gun
- Bridging Digital and Physical Worlds With SixthSense
- Official Angry Birds 3 Star Walkthrough Theme 3 Levels 1-5
- HTC Schubert
- Sketching Out a Future for the Stylus
Incoming search terms:
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups beast paintballs
- Published News Upcoming News Submit a New Story Groups the best paintball guns
- Powered by Article Dashboard federal government
- Powered by Article Dashboard branches of natural science
- Powered by Article Dashboard the art of story telling
- Powered by Article Dashboard radio broadcasting equipment
- Powered by Article Dashboard american government
- Powered by Article Dashboard wood burning
- Powered by Article Dashboard stock price prediction software
- Powered by Article Dashboard government jobs