Sometimes a Goldcard is necessary to successfully install the sappimg necessary to root your phone. Below is the process for creating that Goldcard. I used the original card that came with my phone. Some card do not support this process so you may need to try a few.
First you will need to download a couple things:
- QMAT: http://www.tucows.com/preview/605064
- HxD Hex Editor: http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi…=uo&tag=button
Here is the process:
- Extract the file qmat.exe file from the QMAT download
Format your memory card to fat32. This does not work on all cards.
On your phone search the Android Market a ‘Terminal Emulator’.
Once installed open the Terminal Emulator and type ‘cat[space]/sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid‘ without the quote signs or the [space].
Write down the code on notepad or something, preferably somewhere you can copy and paste into QMAT.
On your computer execute the qmat.exe file that you extracted earlier.
Click on Cryptanalysis Tools > Crypto Toolbox
Look near the bottom of the application, there is a text box next to the “Reverse String” button.
Enter the CID number from step 5
Click on the “Reverse String” button.
Write down the code on notepad or something and replace the first two characters with 00, preferably somewhere you can copy and paste into the QMAT Goldcard created.
- This will be used to reverse the CID you get from your phone. This can also be done manually by breaking the string into two character sections then reversing it
Example CID: A0B1C2D3E4F5G6H7I8J9KaLb (32 digits)
Breaking CID into 2`s: A0-B1-C2-D3-E4-F5-G6-H7-I8-J9-Ka-Lb
Remove Dashes: LbKaJ9I8H7G6F5E4D3C2B1A0
Go to QMAT to get your Goldcard: http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html
- Example: “532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402” changes to “002600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402”
Enter your email.
For the CID, enter the reversed CID from step 12 with the 00 replacement.
Click Continue and you will receive the goldcard.img via your email.
Go to your email, download the goldcard.img and save it to a directory.
Install the HxD Hex Editor you downloaded
Launch the HxD Hex Editor
- This is free for G1 phone, Thanks to Viper! (also works with the myTouch3G)
Go to Extra tab
Click Open Disk
Select Physical disk
Select Removable Disk (this is your SD card)
- Windows 7 and Vista users may need to run the program as Administrator
Uncheck “Open as Readonly"
Go to Extra again
Click Open Disk Image
Select the goldcard.img you saved from your email.
Make sure Sector Size "512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)" is selected
- Make sure you choose Removable Disk under Physical disks, not under Logical disks
Go to the goldcard.img tab.
Go to Edit
Click Select All
Click Edit again
Click on the “removable disk” tab.
Select offset 00000000 thru offset 00000170
Click Paste Write
Click on File
Remove the SD card and plug it back in
If you get the message to format the card when it is reinserted it is not compatible with the Goldcard process. You will need to try again with a different card.
- Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img.